Celebrate Holistic Pet Day Every Day!
August 30 is National Holistic Pet Day. But why limit it to one day? Follow these simple steps to incorporate a holistic approach to pet health every day.
1. Exercise: Walk your dog, play with your cat, get active! Lack of activity can lead into a host of physical and emotional health problems for dogs and cats (and humans).
2. Diet: Overfeeding your pet leads to obesity which leads to health problems. Offer your pet the best diet you can afford. Processed foods are convenient, but the more natural diet you can provide the better. Avoid foods with chemical preservatives and animal by-products.
3. Nutritional Supplements: Supplements are one way to ensure your pet is getting the necessary nutrients it needs. Vitamins, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids given regularly support the immune system and help to prevent disease. Glucosamine supports joint health. Herbal remedies can calm nervous, easily agitated dogs and cats.
4. Find a Good Vet: Choose a vet that does not dismiss the holistic health approach -- This means appointments are about how to prevent disease rather than only treating existing symptoms. A good resource to find a vet is the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association.
5. Avoid Exposure to Toxins: Dogs and cats lie on furniture, carpets and grass. Avoid using chemical lawn products (pesticides) and try to use natural home cleaning products. Make your pet an important part of your life. This is what makes truly holistic health. The affection you show your pet supports their physical health, and yours.