Posted by Holistic Pet Info on 7/31/2019 to Aging
Vitamins and Supplements for Older Dogs and Cats
Thankful that your older pet has moved beyond the phase of chewing or scratching furniture, you now may be facing a new set of issues associated with caring for a senior cat or dog:
- Arthritis, joint pain and stiffness
- Worsening eyesight and cataracts
- Liver disease
- Skin and coat dryness
- Digestive problems
These are some of the common health problems that affect older dogs and cats. Vitamins and supplements formulated specifically for older pet health issues are the best choice for your pet.
As animals age, their organs begin to operate less efficiently. Some vets believe animals experience up to a 30% loss of functioning of most body systems. Poor diet, environmental pollutants and the natural aging process are to blame. But the future doesn't have to be so bleak for your older friend. Because you care, you can help him live out his senior years happy and healthy!
Health Tips for Older Pets
While you can't stop the aging process, you can help your dog or cat stay healthy and perhaps prevent serious diseases that can shorten their life.
- Exercise and a healthy diet are more important than ever.
- Yearly check-ups are key to detect the early signs of disease and begin treatment programs before the disease has a chance to advance.
- Many veterinarians recommend a daily vitamin formulated for older dogs and cats because senior animals do not absorb nutrients from their food as efficiently as they once did.
- Older pets may also have trouble with digestion or breaking down their food.
- Antioxidants are also important to reduce the damage caused by cell oxidation - a factor in the onset of many chronic conditions.
Visit these webpages for more information: