The extract seems to work best in supporting the immune system when it is taken before an illness strikes, and it is safe to take on a regular basis.
- Several preliminary clinical trials in China have suggested that astragalus can benefit immune function and improve survival in some people with cancer.
- It has also been found to suppress tumor growth and restore immune function compromised by tumor growth.
- Astragalus reduces autoimmune response, and may offer relief from allergies and other immune disorders.
Echinacea extract has long been used for infections and as a blood purifier by Native Americans. Today it is the best-selling herb in America and is used extensively to stimulate the immune system to help fight viral and bacterial infections. Echinacea has also traditionally been used to heal wounds and skin problems, and reduce inflammation.
Echinacea appears to fight viruses in two ways: It contains three compounds with specific antiviral activity—caffeic acid, chicoric acid and echinacin. Root extracts of echinacea have also been shown to act like interferon, the body’s own antiviral compound. In addition, echinacea is an immune stimulant that helps the body defend itself against viral infection more effectively.
- Echinacea's polysaccharide and phytosterol constituents support the immune system by activating white blood cells (lymphocytes and macrophages).
- Echinacea promotes nonspecific T-cell activation, a type of white blood cell important in providing resistance to mold-like bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites, and viruses. The T cells then increase the production of interferon, an important part of the body’s response to viral infections.
- Echinacea exerts a mild cortisone-like effect, which enhances the adrenal cortex hormones. This action appears to be responsible for Echinacea's direct anti-inflammatory activity.
Reishi Mushrooms have been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years to combat disease, and to specifically relieve respiratory ailments and treat cancer. When they are combined with vitamins C and E, they are purported to be even more effective in fighting cancer. Reishi also works as an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine to relieve allergy symptoms and asthma.
Reishi mushrooms are rich in proteins, 18 amino acids, polypeptides, polysaccharides, nucleosides, terpenoids, alkaloids, carbohydrates, germanium, vitamins and minerals. They have been found to enhance immune modulators, which are important for fighting viral and bacterial infection, and they also inhibit the growth and proliferation of cancer cells.
- Helps to promote serum agglutination
- Raises activation of glutathione peroxidase in blood
- Inhibits the growth of cancer cells
- Alleviates asthma symptoms
- Relieves stress
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine—known as "NAC"—provides powerful immune support, and has been shown to play a protective role against a variety of toxins including cigarette smoke, auto exhaust and certain herbicides. It is especially beneficial to animals with respiratory problems and to aging animals, since it protects DNA and RNA from free radical damage.
NAC is a precursor to glutathione—one of the most important antioxidants—which is composed of three different amino acids, cysteine, glutamic acid and glycine. Glutathione also neutralizes damaging free radicals and peroxide molecules, and regenerates oxidized vitamin C. Supplementing with NAC is probably the most cost effective way to boost your pet's glutathione levels.
- Slows down the aging process
- Enhances the immune system
- Helps to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy
- Detoxifies the liver
- Treats blood and liver disorders
- Supports the cardiovascular system
Thymus extract is derived from the thymus glands of young calves. The thymus is a major immune system gland, and to a large extent determines the health of the immune system.
The thymus is responsible for many immune system functions, including the production of T lymphocytes, which are extremely important to protecting animals from bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, cancer, allergies, dermatitis and immune disorders.
Important Vitamins & Minerals in Immugen provide Immune Support
Research shows that the daily use of vitamins and minerals provides immune-enhancing benefits.
Vitamin A is vital for healthy skin and good eyesight. It plays an important part in the growth and repair of body tissues and protects epithelial tissues, such as the thin skin of the mouth, nose, throat, and lungs, thereby reducing susceptibility to infection.
Vitamin C is essential to over-all health. This antioxidant aids in resisting viral and bacterial infections, and reduces the effects of some allergy-producing substances. It helps heal wounds, scar tissue and fractures, and gives strength to the blood vessels, thus preventing hemorrhaging. Its primary function is to maintain collagen, a protein necessary for the formation of skin, ligaments and bones. Vitamin C also plays an important role in the absorption of iron.
Vitamin E prevents the fats and fat-soluble vitamin A stored in the body from breaking down and combining with other substances that may become harmful to the body. It is especially important to the health of the cardiovascular system, and has been found helpful in the healing of burns, bruises and wounds, and as preventative in the treatment of cancer and aging.
- Zinc deficiency can lead to increased susceptibility to infection.
- Copper deficiency has resulted in impaired antibody production.
Zinc is an essential trace mineral found in most tissues of the body. The highest concentrations of zinc are in the liver, pancreas, kidneys and spermatozoa. It is important for the health of the blood and circulatory system, brain and nervous system, reproductive system and skin. Zinc plays a part in the synthesis of protein and nucleic acid, which controls the formation of different proteins in the cell. It also plays a part in digestion and in the metabolism of phosphorus, and helps protect animals from developing cancer and respiratory illnesses.