Ten Holistic Health Tips for Dogs
There is anecdotal evidence that suggests caring for a dog makes you healthier. Dogs donít complicate things, and they remind us not to. Healthy dogs express joy with ease, which is actually an enlightened trait. And loyalty? Donít even bother to compare dogs with most people.
Dogs are hearty animals, but ultimately you control your petís health. Here are ten tips that use the holistic approach to raising a healthy dog:
- Exercise: Walk your dog, play fetch, and take her anywhere she is welcome to sniff around. For all the unconditional love your dog brings you, the number one thing you can give back is to provide your dog with an active lifestyle. Lack of activity cascades into a host of physical and emotional health problems.
- Diet: People control what domestic dogs eat. Processed foods are convenient, but the more natural diet you can provide the better. Avoid foods with chemical preservatives and animal by-products. Inexpensive cuts of meat and fresh vegetables can be less expensive than prepared food, so prepare something fresh when you can.
- Donít overfeed your dog: Nearly 40% of dogs in the U.S. are considered obese. Do your dog a favor and cut back on the extra meals and non-nutritious treats. Also, do Tip #1.
- Nutritional Supplements: Supplements are one way to ensure your dog is getting the necessary nutrients it needs. Vitamins, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids given regularly support the immune system and help to prevent disease. Glucosamine supports joint health. Herbal remedies can calm nervous, easily agitated dogs.
- Find a good Vet: Choose a vet that does not dismiss the holistic health approach -- This means appointments are about how to prevent disease rather than only treating existing symptoms.
- Take care of dental health: We often overlook dental care with dogs, but bad teeth lead to a range of other health problems. Not enough owners follow recommendations to brush their dogís teeth daily. If you donít brush, give her teeth cleaning treats and chew toys. Inspect your dogís teeth for signs of periodontal disease.
- Avoid exposure to toxins: Dogs get into things they shouldnítóand it may just be the sewer water in front of the house. Avoid using chemical lawn care products and use natural home cleaning products.
- Control fleas and ticks: Look for non-chemical control and cleaning products.
- Stay informed about health issues: Know how to look for early signs of disease so you can take preventative action.
- Make your dog part of your life: This is what makes truly holistic health. The affection you show for your dog supports physical health. And best of all, this is a health benefit your dog will return to you.
Visit these links for product suggestions:
Healthy Basics - Daily Vitamins for Dogs