Urinary tract infections can affect both dogs and cats. This painful condition is caused by a bacterial infection which blocks the urethra, making it painful and difficult to urinate. Struvite and Oxalate stones may also be present and can cause obstructions as well.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs and Cats
Urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria blocking the urethra. Symptoms include:
- Trouble urinating
- Bloody urine
- Your pet cries when urinating
- Frequent accidents or urinating outside the litter box
Holistic Remedies for Urinary Tract Infections in Cats and Dogs
Conventional treatment for urinary tract infection ranges from antibiotics to surgery. While conventional approaches such as antibiotics effectively treat the symptoms of a UTI, they rarely address the causes and so reoccurrences of UTIs are common.
A holistic approach deals more with correcting the imbalance in your pet’s urinary and immune systems. The antibacterial action of certain herbs will reduce inflammation and support the healing of the bladder wall and urethra.
- Berberine is an antibacterial agent that prevents bacteria from attaching to cell walls. Berberine also reduces inflammation and strengthens immune functioning.
- Cranberry helps to minimize bacterial colonization of the bladder mucosa.
- Ester-C makes the urine more acidic and therefore more inhospitable to bacteria.