Conventional treatment starts with X-rays and additional tests to rule out other respiratory problems. After asthma has been diagnosed, steroids and cortisone may be prescribed to reduce inflammation and antihistamines are used to open up the airways.
How Natural Remedies can help Pets with Asthma
Conventional treatment methods are effective in preventing asthma attacks and providing relief from the symptoms of asthma, however, many believe the long-term use of these drugs play a major role in compromising the immune system. A compromised immune system opens the door to many recurrent disorders, including more episodes of asthma attacks, allergies, skin problems and other immune-related diseases.
Strengthening the immune system is vital to controlling your pets asthma. Herbal and homeopathic treatments can help to reduce the symptoms without the adverse side effects of conventional drugs. Here are some herbs and homeopathic treatments that have been shown to aid asthma sufferers:
- Inula helenium (Scullcap) – Used by herbalists for centuries, Inula Helenium is very effective in treating coughs, bronchitis and asthma.
- Marshmallow – Marshmallow is an effective treatment for irritating coughs and other respiratory infections. Marshmallow helps to relieve the dry cough that causes sore throats.
- Phosphorus (30C) is a well known remedy for the respiratory conditions of asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, tightness in chest, dry lingering coughs and deep coughs. Phosphorus is also used homeopathically to treat and prevent respiratory problems linked to stress or anxiety.
For more detailed information on canine and feline asthma, visit Peteducation.com.
AmazaPet from PetAlive
AmazaPet is a 100% natural blend of herbal and homeopathic ingredients specially selected for the treatment of asthma in pets. AmazaPet can help to reduce the frequency and severity of pet asthma attacks. It improves respiratory functioning and relaxes the bronchioles and prevents bronchospasms.
To purchase or read more about AmazaPet...
For additional support, ask your vet if an antioxidant formula, immune support formula or Omega-3 Fatty Acids would help your pet with asthma or other respiratory problems.
Immugen's unique formula combines vitamins, minerals, amino acids, botanicals and other nutrients for optimal immune system functioning. It contains natural ingredients to protect animals from bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, cancer, allergies, dermatitis and immune disorders. Immugen contains Reishi mushrooms which have been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years to treat respiratory ailments. Reishi Mushrooms work as an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine to relieve allergy symptoms and asthma.
To purchase or learn more about Immugen..
Small Animal Antioxidant
Thorne Research has updated their Small Animal Antioxidant formulas to include:
- Potent plant-based antioxidants – curcumin, grape seed extract, broccoli seed extract, resveratrol, milk thistle, hesperidin, quercetin, and carrot
- Amino acids to enhance glutathione levels – NAC, glycine, glutamic acid, and glutathione itself
- Antioxidants that are powerful free-radical scavengers – ascorbic acid and d-alpha tocopheryl
To purchase or read
more about Small Animal Antioxidant...
Super EPA-VET from Thorne Research
Super EPA-VET is a fish oil concentrate that is a superior source of Omega-3 fatty acids. As an anti-inflammatory, it can help reduce wheezing and inflammation in pets with asthma.
To purchase or read more about Super EPA-VET..
Moducare-VET from Thorne Research
ModucareVET is a blend of plant sterols and sterolins. These natural ingredients are found in all fruits and vegetables and are important in the function of the immune system. They have been found to enhance the development of natural killer and T-helper cell activity, which allows your pet to more easily fight off infections. Moducare is also recommended for patients with respiratory ailments such as asthma and feline viral upper respiratory disease.
To purchase or read more about ModucareVET...